This is a notice to inform you of our policy about all information that I record about you. It sets out the conditions under which I may process any information that I collect from you, or that you provide to me. It covers information that could identify you (“personal information”) and information that could not. In the context of the law and this notice, “process” means collect, store, transfer, use or otherwise act on information.
I take seriously the protection of your privacy and confidentiality. I understand that all visitors to our website are entitled to know that their personal data will not be used for any purpose unintended by them, and will not accidentally fall into the hands of a third party.
I undertake to preserve the confidentiality of all information you provide to me, and hope that you reciprocate.
Our policy complies with UK law accordingly implemented, including that required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The law requires me to tell you about your rights and my obligations to you in regards to the processing and control of your personal data. I do this now, by requesting that you read the information provided at www.knowyourprivacyrights.org
I do not share, or sell, or disclose to a third party, any information collected through my website.
Personal Information Collected
During our initial session, and in subsequent sessions, I typically request some, or all of the following information in order to build our therapeutic alliance together:-
- Gender (or preferred identity).
- Date of Birth.
- Relationship and Sexual History.
- Telephone/SMS number (plus permission to send SMS & leave voice message).
- E-mail address.
- Counselling History.
- Medical conditions relevant to counselling.
- Prescribed medication.
- Contact details for your Doctor and/or next of kin.
Storage Of Your Personal Information.
- Paper: Written notes (described below). These are kept locked in my office.
Smartphone: I will store your contact information in my iPhone contacts which backs up to the iCloud.
- Email/SMS/WhatsApp: Your email address and correspondence will be stored in my e-mail account by nature of you contacting me. Your telephone number may be stored in my SMS or WhatsApp app should we exchange messages this way. Electronic correspondence will also be held by the corresponding app (Phone’s SMS, WhatsApp).
- Website: None of your personal information is stored on my website, other than to momentarily collect & send it to my e-mail account for the purposes of our initial contact.
- Signed Contract/Agreement.
- Assessment Notes containing most of the personal information referred to above.
- Brief Session Notes.
- Contact name & telephone.
I seek a monthly supervision with another therapist qualified in this process. The consultation process is for my practice and required by the BACP. In order to protect your privacy, my consultant will not know you personally nor professionally. I will refer to you by your first name, and I may refer to your information verbally when it’s helpful to my professional processes.
If your health is in jeopardy (provided I have your consent) I may share your contact information with an emergency healthcare service provider.
If I have become aware of your intent to cause harm to another person/organisation (e.g. terrorism), the law may require that I inform an authority without seeking your permission. In such a situation, the law may require that I share your personal information without your knowledge.
Deleting Your Information
I keep session notes for one month. When we have finished working together, I will erase electronic copies of your information & correspondence within one month.
I will hold onto your written information for up to five years past the end of our working together. This is so that I have a reference of our work in situations such as you returning to counselling in the future. After this time has passed, I will shred the written information.
You have the following rights:-
- To be informed what information I hold (i.e. this document).
- To see the information I hold about you (free of charge for the initial request).
- To rectify any inaccurate or incomplete personal information.
- To withdraw consent to me using your personal information.
- To request your personal information be erased (though I can decline whilst the information is needed for me to practice lawfully & competently).
NB: A printed copy of this statement will be given to you when we first meet for counselling and will be included as part of our contract. If we agree to continue working together, we will both sign the printed copy of this statement to indicate our agreement.
Payment information is never taken by me or transferred to me either through our website or otherwise.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer’s hard drive by your web browser when you visit any website. They allow information gathered on one web page to be stored until it is needed for use on another, allowing a website to provide you with a personalised experience and the website owner with statistics about how you use the website so that it can be improved.
Some cookies may last for a defined period of time, such as one day or until you close your browser. Others last indefinitely.
Your web browser should allow you to delete any you choose. It also should allow you to prevent or limit their use.
- to track how you use our website, and
- to record whether you have seen specific messages we display on our website.
Information we obtain from third parties
I do not disclose your personal information to any third party.
How you can complain